Tuesday, August 14, 2007

One Week Old

Our life is now divided into 2-3 hours chunks consisting of sleeping, eating, feeding, diaper changing and burping. We're starting to get a rhythm down now. I have a very odd synchronization with Dexter. We take naps a lot to get a decent amount of sleep everyday. We may be asleep at 4 pm and awake at 5 am, but I always wake up just before Dexter is just waking up to be fed. It amazes me that I intuitively know to wake before he does. It's also amazing how rested we both feel after just a couple hours of sleep.

After feeding, we burp him and change his diaper. Diaper changing has become it's own comedy show, especially for mommy. Dexter almost always pees on me while I'm changing him. I was forewarned about this from my mother, so I bought little cloth covers, pee tee-pees, to deflect the stream. The problem is that Dexter is a squirmy worm when it comes to changing, so I have to try and hold the pee tee-pee on with one hand, wrestle his legs and wipe his cute dirty little butt while he's crying in protest. Inevitably, once the pee tee-pee comes off, he pees. His timing is impeccable. Sometimes, when I get the diaper on and am just fastening it on, he'll pee or poop and I'll have to start over. I have gone through 3 diapers in one sitting playing this game. He pulled a triple-play the other day and pooped on me, then peed on me and when I finally got the diaper on, I picked him up and he spat up all over my arm. He is definitely a Cobra with that sense of humor.