Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Baby Cobra is here!



The birth went fairly well. After being induced on Sunday, I hadn't made much progress until well into Monday. I was put on Pitocin early Monday evening to get thig going a little faster. My water broke about 7:00pm and everything was fine until 11:00pm. I was handling the pain perfectly well and was having an absolutely beautiful laboring experience with both Mr. Cobra and our doula. It helped so much to have 2 people for support. The Pitocin was nearly doubled after I'd only made it to 4 cm after 30 hours though, so at about 2:00am I was delirious with pain due to the increased strength of the contractions. I finally caved into getting an epidural. The first one didn't work, so on the second try it finally kicked in and made the contractions tolerable. The epidural really helped. I went to sleep and went from 4 cm to 10 cm (complete) when I woke up a couple hours later. I pushed for a couple of hours and just as the sun rose over the San Francisco skyline, our son was born. Mr. Cobra cut the umbilical cord and we became the Cobra Family.

He is incredibly cute, but mothers are always biased. I am feeling surprisingly well and am up and walking around ok. I am not in too much pain because I didn't need any stitches. Mr. Cobra hasn't smiled this much in his entire life. Our son is healthy, alert and feeding well. Here are some of our pictures.