Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Back to School

While I wasn't planning on homeschooling, it was an amazing experience. Just as unexpectedly as it began, my little girl headed back to school. I only signed up for one school because it was a public charter that was a lot like AltSchool. The lottery came and went for kindergartners. I completely forgot about it and then I received a notice that she was offered a spot. I asked her if she wanted to go back to school and she said yes. That was that and she was quickly enrolled.

We went to a summer playdate for her to meet some of the new kids. We talked to some parents and everyone loved the school. I don't think I've ever talked to so many parents that gushed over their school. Missy B started last week and she's doing so well. I was worried because she's so very shy, but she's participating in class and making new friends. I'm so proud of her. I know it's tough for her to put herself out there, but she's putting in the effort. She even got a recognition certificate from her teacher for being courageous! Woo-hoo! I hope it continues to be a positive experience for her.

Another good sign is that when they handed out their writing workbook, Missy B recognized that she'd already finished that workbook. The teacher just gave her the workbook for the next level, and said she'd work with her, together, on the new book. That is why it is so good to have 2 teachers in a classroom. Differentiation in place on the 2nd week?! That's a fantastic start.

My son will continue to homeschool. He has his online classes, an outdoor education day, and a homeschool group of classes for a day. I barely have to plan for him because his online classes have a full day worth of homework. I only have one day I need to plan for. My job just got so much easier too! Well, except for driving kids all over. The commute is back in full force.

Today, I literally had a moment where my eyes teared up because he's 10 and is taking physics. I never had the exposure or the opportunity to do what he's doing as kid. I'm so overwhelmingly happy that he can pursue academics that I know nothing about. I've never taken a class on meteorology or physics even though I love science. I get to learn some things right alongside him. It makes me proud that he's interested and engaged in challenging himself.

Welcome back to school!