Thursday, August 23, 2007

Cause and Effect

Dexter has been getting many pet names since he was born. Chicken Wiggle, Mr Chicken, Chicken Man - The best of them deal with chickens because his poop smells like eggs. As long as no one is eating an egg sandwich in the immediate area, we always know when his diaper is dirty. Other cute nicknames we have for him that don't have such a notorious calling card are Lil' Mr. Cobra and Little Man. I'm not sure he'll know his real name until he gets into trouble.

Speaking of trouble, Dexter's crying issues are because he has gas. We figured that out about day 4, but it has been bad off and on. I did a little research and I'm going to dramatically lessen 2 of my favorite foods, milk and peanut butter, to see if it will help. Last night he was very upset and burping just wasn't cutting it. I tried holding him in several positions and finally what soothed him through his obvious bouts of gas was my sucking on my pinky while being propped up at a 45 degree angle on my legs. This screaming fit was after a day of eating lots of cheese. I've already stopped drinking glasses of milk which seemed to help, but I'm still getting the shockwaves of yesterday's cuisine. This morning he can only sleep on my shoulder without being fussy. It makes me feel guilty to see him writhing in pain when I knew dairy was probably the culprit and still proceeded to eat so much of it. Poor little guy! At least I can do something about it in the future.

Tonight is bath night! Dexter is getting drenched. The sponge baths just aren't thorough enough for this dirty little critter.